Tried 2nd attempt on traditional mooncake.
This time round, I've tried Christine's recipe and I doubled them.
And I've tried piggy without filling..thanks darling Keiko!
Ingredients (A) for mooncake pastry
200gm plain flour
120gm golden syrup
1 tsp alkaline water
Ingredients (B) for mooncake filling
Red Bean Paste (bought from baking supply store)
1. Mix ingredients (A) till well combined. Set aside for 40 minutes.
2. While waiting for (A) to be done, divide red bean paste into portion. Roll into balls.
3. Once (A) is done, divide equally.
Wrap filling into mooncake pastry. Roll into balls. Press into mooncake
mould. Tap lightly to de-mould. Repeat until dough finishes.
Bake in preheated oven at 200'C for 10 mins. Remove and leave cool for
about 15 minutes. Brush the top with beaten egg. Bake in oven again for
15 minutes till golden brown.
6. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. Store in an air-tight
container. The pastry will become soft, called “回油” （literally means
”returns oily and soft’） and shiny in one or two days.
1. Egg brush must do thinly. This time, i brushed too much, ended with flaky ugly mooncake. Haha.
2. Proportion: for big mooncake, i used 100gm filling, 50gm dough skin
for small mooncake, i used 40gm filling, 20gm dough skin
9 hours ago