250gm plain flour
190gm golden syrup
1 tsp alkaline water**
Ingredients (B) for mooncake filling
coffee paste (bought from baking supply store)
1. Mix ingredients (A) till well combined. Set aside for 30 minutes.
2. While waiting for (A) to be done, divide coffee paste into portion. Roll into balls.
3. Once (A) is done, divide equally.
4. Wrap filling into mooncake pastry. Roll into balls. Press into mooncake mould. Tap lightly to de-mould. Repeat until dough finishes.
5. Bake in preheated oven at 200'C for 10 mins. Remove and leave cool for about 15 minutes. Brush the top with beaten egg. Bake in oven again for 15 minutes till golden brown.
**my friend asked me, do you know why alkaline water is used in traditional mooncake?
i told her i don't know..recipe say use then i followed blindly..wakkakakaa
then she send this link to me to read up:
the alkaline water is to neutralize the acid in golden syrup. And it gives the browning effect to the mooncake pastry.
i'm grateful to have such a darling in my life, we knew each other through her blog and FB group and from sharing of knowledge in cooking and baking..we now become friends though we are quite far apart.
Really appreciate to have her as my friend! Thanks Keiko darling.
Recipe adapted from: Seashore Mooncake Sonata from Alan Ooi